The texturing for the Golem is finally done. I am super happy with the result:
The compression for web isn't doing it any justice, but here it is. Even though I've been working really hard not to run out of time, this part of the project has been quite enjoyable. I am really happy with the overall result. The legs and hands were really interesting because in the original concept I have a gradient sweeping over the hands from the fingers up and on the feet from the ground up. I wasn't sure how to tackle this as the nature of how I had laid out the UVs for painting wouldn't allow for seamless gradients from bottom to top. That's when I poked around online and found out that you can have multiple UV maps of one object and then tell the shaders which UVs to use. I created second UVs for the feet and hands, projected straight from the front. I used those UVs to make a gradient shader that shades them from the bottom up. I then took both the normal colour shader and the gradient shader and plugged them into a Layered Shader. This shader turns other shaders into layers like in Photoshop, taking in consideration opacity. And voila, there you have it.
The crater in the middle, to me, is an improvement over what I have in the concept art. After the texturing came the lightning effect. This was tricky as I haven't much experience with special effects within Maya. I couldn't find the tutorials I needed and just had to play and experiment in an empty scene in Maya until I got what I wanted. Maya luckily has a preset lighting effect that I could customise to suite my own needs. Once I figured out what all the settings did it just took some time to place all the control object in my scene
The two images above are identical apart from the amount of glow the electricity is emitting. Still not sure how much glow I would like because I am wary of the glow washing out my other textures. Possibly something in between the two, leaning toward the bottom one. I am also tempted to try and see if I can maybe do the glow in After Effects after the fact. I might have more control that way.
Here are some of the painted textures applied to the model:
It took me ages to paint these, but I guess the result is well worth it. Now that the Golem is mostly done I can move on to posing my Sheldon character, as I am using parts of this model as environment props in his poses.